Sunday, January 18, 2009

ILL. FRIDAYS : PALE

cool. i finished my first illustration! i'm really glad i found illustrationfriday.com.. i think it will keep me busy, inspired, and will strengthen my artistic skills and take me one step closer to my dream of creating art for a living. THIS PieCE is inspired by my mom and a lot of the women in the phillipines who strive to stay pale, like "Snow White" white.. it seems to be their thing over there.. they go to great measures to have it, skin creams, staying out of the light as much as possible, etc. I must say i wish i had a scanner for better picture quality.. but i'll have to make do with a digi cam.. anyways, i'm trying to teach myself how to make better pen and ink drawings.. i love how much detail you can create with a few scratches of the pen! i'm still learning how to make my work more vibrant in color and more detailed..which is kinda hard with a set of cheap watercolors, and no art education besides what i learned in high school. but practice makes perfect! I know i'll get better with time. So for something i came up within as little time i had, it's not too bad. I call it.. "forever pale."

11 comments:

  1. Nice lady! very beautiful, she have a really great personality! regards and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great illustration! What's funny to me is that I love Filipino women's brown skin! Welcome to IF and keep on creating, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful, I saw people doing this when I was in Sri Lanka and wondered why. You have captured the idea perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's got real character. I like the black and white juxtaposed with the colour background. Effective! Welcome to IF and thanks for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. for a first ...this is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be a great illustration for a ghost story. Very nice work... glad you joined IF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to IF! You'll se it is a great source for inspiration :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The eyes are really expressive!

    As for keeping up with practice, it really is the only way to progress.

    There is an old story that goes like this. There was a potter's class that was separated into two groups, one being quality and the other quantity. While the quality side struggled and pondered endlessly over the idea of how to create the perfect pot which ultimately led to never finishing one at all, the quality side just made pot after pot after pot and eventually were creating perfect pots from sheer experience.

    Hope that helped

    J

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely atmospheric illustration, and great blog! What a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. really nice expression on her face! thanks for stopping by my blog, as well!

    ReplyDelete